- Духовное образование
- Православный молитвослов
The Holy Dormition Monastery of Sviyazhsk
Telephone: (8-271) 3-89-50, 3-89-58
The town of
In the 20th century Sviyazhsk underwent many severe trials. In the 1920s its monasteries and churches were ravaged and closed, and it turned into a zone of the forced labor camp. After construction of the power station of Kuibyshevsk the district of Sviyazhsk was submerged with the storage pool. Only due to the restitution and the aid provided by the Russian Orthodox Church the old town of
The Monastery of the Dormition of the Most Holy Theotokos
The Dormition Monastery was founded in 1555 by Archimandrite German (Sadyrev-Polevoy), who became its first Father Superior. German, a descendant from
In the middle of the 18th century the monastery was the most wealthy and influential among the other ones in the
In 1923, the relics of St. German so as the relics of many other saints were extracted for the purpose of atheistic propaganda. As a legend says, immediately after unsealing of St. German’s reliquary the horrible sandstorm broke out. The crowd inspired with awe scattered all around. After the profanation of the relics the monastery fell quickly into desolation and was closed.
In soviet time the monastery was converted into a forced labor camp, a jail for juvenile criminals. A psycho-neurological clinic was placed there (till 1993). The monastery estate was returned to the Russian Orthodox Church in 1997. Hegumen Kyrill (Korovin) became the first
The Cathedral of the Dormition of the Most Holy Theotokos was built by the Pskovian craftsmen under the guidance of Postnik yakovlev and Ivan Schyryay in 1556 -1560. The refectory was attached to it in the 17th century. In the middle of the 18th century the cylindrical drum was replaced with an octahedron, whereas a helmet-shaped dome was replaced with a cupola styled in Ukrainian baroque. In the 19th century the refectory was added with a high porch. The series of murals of the 16th century, preserved till now, is one of the peculiar features of the cathedral. The frescoes were restored in the 90s of the 19th century by the painters N.M. Safonov and G.O. Chirikov under the supervision of Prof. D.V. Ainalov, the famous expert at the ancient art. From 1964 to 1984 the cathedral underwent the restoration works. The most famous frescoes are the portrayals of Tsar Ioann IV and Metropolitan Makary of Moscow depicted on the walls of the altar. The ancient iconostasis is preserved, but the icons are exhibited at the
At the monastery there has been preserved a two-storied building of the archimandrite’s residence, which was erected in the 17th century in the Russian tower-chambered style. From 1829 to 1858 the
Cathedral in honor of the Icon of the Mother of God “The Joy of All the Sorrowful”
The Cathedral in honor of the icon of the Mother of God “The Joy of All the Sorrowful” was built by design of architect F.D. Malinovsky in 1898-1906. The side-chapels were consecrated in honor of the Venerable Seraphim of Sarov and
The convent was founded at the end of the 16th century. Initially it was located on the northwest part of the cathedral square in Sviyazhsk. After heavy conflagrations in 1753 and 1759 the convent was moved to the buildings of the monastery of the Holy Trinity and
The wooden Church of the Trinity is the most ancient among other orthodox temples preserved in Tatarstan. The church was built in 1551, at the same time with the fortress of Sviyazhsk. Though the church was reconstructed many times in the 19th century, it keeps some initial features still, except for the onion-shaped dome, which replaced the old tented dome. At the church there have been preserved wooden carved sculptures of the Savior, the Apostles, etc., which are more typical to northern regions of
The church consecrated in the name of St. Sergy of Radonezh was placed at the first floor of the refectory, which was built in 1604. The main shrine of the temple was the miracle-working icon of St.
Sergy of Radonezh. The icon was brought to Sviyazhsk in 1551. At present it is kept at the Church of the Miracle-Workers of
On August 14, 2004 the Convent of
The services are held every day in a full round. The works on decoration and gardening of the territory are under way.
Excursions and small groups of pilgrims are received be prior arrangement.
© Татарстанская митрополия РПЦ, 2001-2014.
Сайт управляется системой «Expresss-Web».
Создание и поддержка – проект «Епархия»
Сайт создан по благословению
митрополита Казанского и Татарстанского Анастасия.
Цитирование и перепечатка приветствуются
при гиперссылке на сайт www.kazan-mitropolia.ru